CHOOSING YOUR WEDDING FLOWERS
Flowers, although beautiful, typically require a rather large portion of your wedding budget. As flowers appear in nearly every photograph, choosing the right blooms and the right florist takes good planning. Most centerpieces and bouquets use flowers, but flowers incorporate into many other areas of your day, such as entryways, cake, buffet, etc.
Once you begin thinking about the look you want for your wedding flowers, it's a good idea to start collecting your ideas in one place. Creating a Pinterest board or saving online photos is a great way to find out what draws your eye and fits your wedding vision. It also helps your florist realize your vision too! Your bouquet will likely appear in the most photos and is a good starting point. The other wedding arrangements can be based on the bouquet design and colors. Generally, your floral choices should reflect the overall style or theme of your wedding so keep that in mind when idea shopping. We have a large catalog of wedding bouquet photos to get you started!
SILK OR FRESH FLOWERS?
When you've decided on the look and feel you want, it's time to decide whether to choose silk or fresh flowers. Start by considering what are the most important attributes you want in your flowers, and compare them to the following lists. Some florists may be willing to combine fresh and silk if particular flowers are out of season. It's important to keep in mind that using silks is not actually a money saver as good-quality silk flowers can be more costly than using fresh flowers in most cases. Both options have advantages so let's take a look at what each one has to offer. Which ever you choose, your flowers are certain to be beautiful and memorable.
Top 10 reasons to choose silk flowers:
- They won't wilt or turn brown and always look fresh.
- Extensive variety of colors and styles.
- Are everlasting and non-seasonal.
- Lighter to carry than fresh flowers.
- Less expensive than fresh flowers.
- Easily transported and no refrigeration or watering needed.
- Non-allergenic. (Note: They can be scented).
- Petals do not drop.
- You can receive them weeks in advance of the ceremony.
- They do not attract bees and other insects.
Top 10 reasons to choose fresh flowers:
- They smell wonderful.
- Extensive variety of colors and styles.
- Exquisite detailing missing from silk.
- More traditional than silk.
- More options in choosing vendors.
- They are soft to the touch.
- Create a more opulent feeling than silk.
- Available at a variety of price points depending on season.
- Look wonderful in photographs, even close-up.
- Can be freeze dried.
QUESTIONS FOR YOUR FLORIST
It's important to hire a floral business that will work with you and whose creative process matches your needs and vision. Some florists love working with their clients on ideas and designs, while others work better without to much oversight or they offer pre-designed floral packages at set price points. It's key to pick a florist that will work with your personality and desires. Also, look for reviews and testimonials before contacting them directly. Questions you will want to ask are as follows:
- Are you available on my wedding date?
- Is my wedding location in your geographic area?
- Which flowers will be in season or available on my wedding day?
- What do you charge?
- Are there extra costs for delivery and setup?
- What are your delivery requirements and set up times?
- Who will be setting up the flowers on my wedding day?
- Have you done many weddings?
- May I see samples of your work? (If their answer is no, do not hire them!)
- Are you familiar with my wedding site?
- Are you willing to work within my budget?
- What cost saving suggestions do you have given my needs and budget?
- What are your deposit and cancellation policies?
- What are your guarantees regarding flower freshness, availability and substitutions?
- Do you rent certain items such as candelabras, fabric draping, chairs, furniture, etc? If not, can you recommend a rental company for these items?
- What happens to the flowers after the wedding?
TOP 15 WEDDING FLOWERS
- Calla Lily
- Baby's Breath
- Sweet Peas
FLOWERS TO CONSIDER
We've compiled a general checklist of flowers and arrangements that might be needed for your big day. This checklist is not meant to be all-inclusive, rather it's meant as a guideline only. Depending on your style and wedding budget, you may need only a few items on this list or a vast majority. Please feel free to print out this list to use when working with your florist.